Thursday, July 3, 2008

Making Progress!!!


Okay, so I know most of you who have been talking with Daniel and I recently have come to learn quickly that we have gone crazy with our finances and become "Dave Ramsey" fanatics. Today, I would like to share with you all some of our excitement as we're making progress in this "debt elimination" process.
In January Daniel asked me if I'd be interested in taking a financial class with him at our church on Monday evenings. I was skeptical because I didn't want to give up our "at home" time...but I knew that after a few short months of marriage we were floundering with our money, so I agreed to go. That is when we were sucked into the "Dave Ramsey" world...and it has been the best thing that could have happened to us. We started our class, Financial Peace University, in mid-January. After a few radical changes in our spending habits, and a few months of getting it all going, Daniel and I are now celebrating the leaps and bounds we've made to this point. We've sold my car and as of this afternoon the duplex that Daniel has owned for the past few years will also be sold. That along with massive attacks on our student loans...we have been able to rid ourselves of $90,000 in debt since mid-January. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, we've still a ways to go, but we're both so excited at how God has helped us learn how to manage our money so it doesn't rule over us. Since it's summer time, I listen to the Dave Ramsey show daily on the radio...and I look forward to the day when we will get to call in and shout out for all the world to hear that we are debt free! It's what drives us forward, knowing that we will be out of the bonds of debt and more available to do whatever God calls us to do: to give like we've never given, to go where we couldn't go with all these entanglements on us, to be available for anything. It is truly a freeing process.

So...call me crazy, but I love every second of it! And if you hear me mention Dave's name a little too often, please understand that it is only because our lives have changed so dramatically by listening to his advice and changing how we live in response.

No comments: